2005/02/21

The Pot calling the Kettle bigot

It's uplifting to get a break after a fortnight of little sleep. The project I mentioned earlier has come to an end and my class has moved on to a more 'happy' and less demanding project. And though I am overly pleased with the way it turned out, I would not like to repeat it.

Last week we had an incident at Varsity. A group of students - belonging to PASMA (Pan-Africanist Student Movment of Azania) - from the Mamelodi campus decided to march in protest of tuition fee hikes and being denied access due to outstanding fees. This mob descended onto main campus and emptied out the rubbish bins, broke a window with a brick, came to a head with other students and put a female student in hospital (I heard with a broken arm).
The individual that countered this behaviour were white and in the spirit of blind ignorance, it was taken out of context and lead to accusations of racism.

I wasn't on campus at the time and after hearing about the incident, I thought nothing more of it. I was handed a flyer at the gates this morning. It contained information concerning a court interdict filed by the University against the members of PASMA and that the University would remain open to the concerns of students raised in a "fair and eqitable manner". I thought well this makes sense, I mean there's no need to become rowdy. I at no time felt in any danger.

I read an
article later in the day about the harsh feelings felt by PASMA. PASMA's intent to "kill all the whites" no matter their background until "all racists have been removed from the institutions" was especially interesting. I read up on PASMA and there seems to be a history of uncontrollable, violent conflict revolving around this disorganised organisation. A sense of insubordination and hypocritical contradiction seeped out of the every article that I found, especially when juxtaposing them with the Cape Technikon PASMA site.

While searching for articles concerning this situation I stumbled across White Revolution. An organisation sitting on the opposite side of the spectrum attempting to shead it's zealot-tinted light onto the uninitiated. While I have previously seen local versions of this temperament, The
White Revolution Mission Statement convincingly illustrates how the ignorant masses of any nationality can become tinged with enmity. Another point of interest is the 'one-size-fits-all' "revolution the only solution" language used in both instances.

As much as I'd truly love to, I don't seem to believe that a time will come when a person will accept their circumstances and take the responsibility to do something about it before shifting the blame onto someone else. It's time to fight your own demons.

3 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

We are white, therefore we are racist. Or something.

15:29  
Blogger Debaser said...

I think it goes something like, "Our governing body says that we have the rights so we'll exercise those rights by taking away the rights of others with rights".

20:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Die land is jou land,
Die land is my land,
Daar is kak in die land...
Net nou in jou hand.

Pity, tis a great country, a rich country, yet intelligence poor... Love your work, son!

11:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Matthew Hart's Facebook profile